1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Family Law
  4.  – What if you want to move away with your child?

What if you want to move away with your child?

On Behalf of | Aug 13, 2022 | Family Law

As a parent who is always looking for better opportunities, you were thrilled when you were offered additional training and a higher-paying role in another state. You don’t want to pass it up, because this is the promotion that you’ve been waiting for.

There’s a problem, though. Your child is here in this city, and your ex-spouse is, too. The move is far enough away that they wouldn’t be able to see each other as regularly as they do now, perhaps only visiting on the weekends or a few times a month during the school year.

On the other hand, along with your new role paying more money, you also have free daycare options, and the school system is better. You’ll be closer to some of your family that your child doesn’t regularly see, too.

What can you do? Is it reasonable to ask to relocate with your child?

Relocation is possible, but you have to talk to your ex-spouse first

To start with, you need to sit down with your ex-spouse and bring up the opportunity. Depending on how much time they spend with your child now and their own goals for their career, this could be a good opportunity to give them more time to focus on themselves or they may think that it’s a great opportunity for your child to be moved into a better educational program.

On the other hand, they may have real objections. They may not be happy with seeing your child only a few times a month or feel that your child’s mental health won’t be great if they’re removed from everything they currently know and love.

What can you do if you and the other parent don’t agree?

If you don’t agree on what to do, you can petition the court for a child custody modification. By doing this, you’re asking a judge to determine if you can take your child with you. You will need to build a strong case to show why this change is positive and why it is in your child’s best interests. The other parent may oppose the move with their own point of view, so you have to be prepared for that to occur.